If you are concerned about losing your job, you should consider some form of insurance to meet your liabilities should the worst happen.

One type of cover that could be purchased is ASU (Accident Sickness and Unemployment) cover, this will normally provide cover for up to 12 months only.

Another and more comprehensive alternative to an ASU policy is to take out a permanent health insurance (PHI) policy and add to it an unemployment cover. It pays a regular income designed to protect your standard of living if you suffer long-term sickness or injury or are unemployed.

The benefit will usually start after an initial waiting period of 4, 13, 26 or 52 weeks and it is payable until you return to work, on death or when the policy term expires depending on what happens first.

Another option, which is growing in popularity, is adding Unemployment cover to existing life cover arrangements, only a few companies only offer this facility at present.

As with all types of cover its important to check that the policy is correct for you and your circumstances, as there are many caveats that could prevent some polices being correct for yourself.

With Unemployment cover, there is always an initial exclusion period where you will need to wait a number of months after you have bought the policy before you can make a claim. This is to stop people who know they are about to lose their job insuring themselves.